Indonesian police arrest six ISIS suspects planning Singapore attack

By REUTERS
August 5, 2016 10:49

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

JAKARTA - Six Indonesians were arrested on Batam island on Friday for planning an attack on Singapore, an Indonesian police spokesman said.

"What we understand so far is that they were planning to attack vital objects, busy areas including police offices," police spokesman Agus Rianto told reporters.

"We also obtained information that these suspects with one ISIS terrorist in Syria now planned to attack Singapore via Batam," he said, referring to the Islamic State militant group.

The six were suspected to have links to Bahrun Naim, an Indonesian fighting for Islamic State in Syria. Naim is believed to be one of the masterminds of an attack in January in central Jakarta, in which eight people were killed including the four attackers.

Batam is just to the south of Singapore.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 25, 2018
Duterte foe arrested after Philippine court revives old rebellion charges

By REUTERS