Iran opposition leader vows to continue struggle

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
June 12, 2010 13:12

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

TEHERAN, Iran — Iran's opposition leader pledged Saturday to continue the struggle against the government, despite canceling a mass protest for the anniversary of last June's disputed presidential election.

A statement by Mir Hossein Mousavi said that the opposition will "continue our peaceful methods."

Mousavi and another top figure, Mahdi Karroubi, called off the planned rally, citing fears for the lives of the protesters in the face of a violent government crackdown.

The opposition said at least 80 protesters have died so far in street clashes between security forces and protesters in the post-election turmoil — Iran's worst unrest since the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

Mousavi said that while the opposition "may put off its presence in one arena," it will persevere through other ways.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 17, 2018
U.S. says no rebuilding funds for Syria until peace talks underway

By REUTERS