Iran urges restraint over downing of Turkish plane

By REUTERS
June 24, 2012 09:47

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

DUBAI - Iranian foreign minister Ali Akbar Salehi urged Turkey and Syria late on Saturday to show restraint following Syria's downing of a Turkish warplane, his ministry said.

In a telephone conversation with Turkish foreign minister Ahmed Davutoglu, Salehi said he hoped the two sides would "settle the issue peacefully to maintain regional stability," read a statement on the Iranian foreign ministry's website.

Iran has supported Syrian president Bashar Assad since anti-government protests erupted across the country early last year and grew into an armed uprising.

Syria shot down a Turkish plane over the Mediterranean on Friday. According to a Syrian military account, the aircraft was flying fast and low, just one kilometer off the Syrian coast when it was hit.

Signals from both sides suggest neither want a military confrontation over the incident and the countries have started a joint search for the missing airmen.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 19, 2018
Report: Iranian technology delivered to Hezbollah in clandestine flights

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF