Iranian parliament to probe blogger's death

By
November 11, 2012 13:02

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

In a rare move, Iran's deputy parliament speaker said on Sunday that a parliamentary inquiry committee had been established to investigate the death in custody of anti-government blogger Sattar Beheshti.

Iran's cyber police arrested the 35-year-old blogger on October 30 after he wrote a blog post saying that he had been threatened by the security services. Iranian opposition groups said that police raided Beheshti's home and seized his personal belongings including a computer.

On November 7, the authorities told Beheshti's family to collect his body. According to the BBC's Persian service, the security forces refused to allow anyone other than Beheshti's brother in law to attend his funeral on Thursday.

The Iranian Student's News Agency (ISNA) quoted Mohammad Hassan Abutorabi-Fard as saying that parliament's Committee on Foreign Policy and National Security would look into Beheshti's death.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 12, 2018
Air sirens sound in Shaar Hanegev, Hamas fires at southern Israel

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF