Islamic Movement ban 'declaration of war,' says Arab MK

By JPOST.COM STAFF
November 17, 2015 09:36
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Reacting to the decision by the Israeli government to outlaw the Islamic Movement's northern branch, both Arab MKs and the Movement itself have on Tuesday come out with strong opposition to the move.

According to Israel Radio, MK Taleb Abu Arar (Joint List) warned that the outlawing of the northern branch was a "declaration of war" against the Arab sector of the country, and that the Israeli government will bear responsibility for this.

In a statement, the leadership denounced the step to outlaw the northern branch as another step the Israeli establishment's "policy" against the movement and its leaders. In addition, the statement criticized a raid conducted by security forces on the Movement's offices.

The leader of the northern branch, Sheikh Raed Salah, denounced the measures as "repressive," and claimed that the Islamic Movement will continue to exist and adhere to all the principles on which it was formed. First and foremost among them, Jerusalem and al-Aksa Mosque.

"I will take every possible legitimate step, in Israel and internationally, to remove the measures taken against the Movement," Salah stated.

Salah is expected to start an 11 month prison sentence next week, having been convicted of incitement, violence and racism in a speech he made eight years ago. Last month his appeal was rejected.

MK Ahmad Tibi (Joint List) said that the decision was a political move by the right-wing government, which is responsible for the current deterioration and is looking for a scapegoat in the form of the Islamic movement. Tibi also claimed that the government was cynically exploiting the terrible crimes in Paris to further its own aims.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 16, 2018
'Queen of Soul' Aretha Franklin dies at age 76

By REUTERS