Israel maintains official silence on opening of Rafah

By
May 28, 2011 21:51

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Despite the opening of the Rafah border crossing on Saturday, Israel continued to maintain an official silence, with neither the Prime Minister's Office nor the Foreign Ministry making any formal statements on the matter.

One government source said that Israel's primary concern about the border crossing was security, "and we are pursuing those concerns directly with the Egyptians."

Israel's primary concern is that the crossing will not be used to smuggle more weapons into Gaza. Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said during his visit to Washington last week that there were currently some 10,000 missiles in Gaza, some of which could reach beyond Tel Aviv.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 20, 2018
King of Morocco appoints new minister for economy and finance

By REUTERS