Israeli tennis player Pe'er wins opening match in Dubai

By BY ASSOCIATED PRESS
February 15, 2010 16:14

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — Shahar Pe'er rallied to beat 15th-ranked Yanina Wickmayer of Belgium 3-6, 6-2, 7-5 in her opening match at the Dubai Tennis Championships on Monday, a year after the Israeli player had been denied a visa to the Emirates.

Authorities cited safety reasons for preventing Pe'er from playing last year, with tournament organizers saying they feared fan anger targeting her over Israel's three-week military offensive in Gaza.

There were no signs of protests or special security measures on the court Monday as the 22nd-ranked Pe'er scored an upset win over Wickmayer. But tournament organizers have restricted the Israeli's movement to the tennis courts and her hotel, her coach said.

"We knew it would be different, but it does complicate matters for us somewhat because Shahar is not used to this," said her Argentine coach, Pablo Giacopelli. "Of course we understand the tournament's view. They want her to be able to play tennis without anything happening to her."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 17, 2018
California searches for 1,000 missing in its deadliest fire

By REUTERS