Jordan agency dismisses report of maid abuse

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
November 22, 2010 14:00

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

AMMAN, Jordan — A Jordanian recruitment agency has dismissed a report alleging abuse of a Sri Lankan domestic worker.

The New York-based Human Rights Watch said last week that a Jordanian employer forced a Sri Lankan housemaid to swallow nails, calling it an example of "wider abuse" of domestics in the Arab world.

But Deeb al-Hafnawi, of the Al-Hafnawi Agency who recruited the woman, said Monday that he has two signed letters from the woman saying she deliberately swallowed six nails in bananas to force her employer to send her home.

Al-Hafnawi said the maid, who is now in Sri Lanka, initially used glass cleaner on her face during her first week to flee. When that failed, she took more extreme action.

He said the women's excuse was that she missed her husband.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 15, 2018
U.S. lawsuit over photos at U.S.-Mexico border crossings is revived

By REUTERS