Kuwait emir accepts government's resignation

By REUTERS
July 1, 2012 13:33

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

KUWAIT - Kuwait's head of state has accepted the resignation of the government, state news agency KUNA said on Sunday, in a move that could help end a political crisis after a court ruling effectively dissolved parliament.

Analysts say the resignation of the government will make way for a new cabinet after which fresh elections could be called by the emir, expected to take place after the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which starts around July 19.

"An Emiri decree was issued, accepting the resignation of (the government of) Prime Minister Sheikh Jaber al-Mubarak al-Sabah," KUNA said.

Kuwait's constitutional court last month effectively annulled the February election and reinstated the previous assembly, raising protests from Islamist-led opposition lawmakers who called the move a coup against the constitution.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 18, 2018
Jerusalem Post closed for Yom Kippur

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF