A six-year-old boy in Jerusalem’s ultra-Orthodox Mea Shearim quarter choked on a lollipop on Thursday night, just after the end of the Simhat Torah holiday, and was taken to Shaare Zedek Medical Center by Magen David Adom medics unconscious, attached to a respiratory and in serious condition.
The ambulance staff performed resuscitation on the toddler, who lacked a heartbeat when they arrived. They restored his heartbeat, but he remained unconscious and could not breathe on his own. Paramedic Murad Salman, who was in the MDA team, said that when they arrived, they saw some residents already trying to resuscitate the boy and took over.
Family members said the round candy on the pop came apart, and the boy choked on it.