N.Korea says embassy raid in Spain was a 'grave terrorist attack'

By REUTERS
April 2, 2019 01:06
1 minute read.
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

SEOUL - A break-in at the North Korean embassy in Spain in February was "a grave terrorist attack," a representative from North Korea's foreign ministry said on Sunday in the North's first official comment on the incident.

The foreign ministry representative also called for an investigation and said North Korea was closely watching rumors that the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and an anti-North Korea group were behind the raid.However, North Korea stopped short of blaming Washington directly and asked Spanish authorities to conduct the investigation in a responsible manner.

"We will wait for the result in patience," the North's state-run KCNA news agency quoted the representative as saying.

KCNA said an armed group assaulted its embassy in Spain and bound, beat and tortured embassy staff and stole communication equipment.



"An illegal intrusion into and occupation of a diplomatic mission and act of theft are a grave breach of state sovereignty and a flagrant violation of international law, and this kind of act should never be tolerated over the globe," the North's foreign ministry representative said.

A mysterious dissident group, Cheollima Civil Defense, also known as Free Joseon, acknowledged on its website last week it was behind the Feb. 22 incident but said it was not an attack and that the group had been invited into the embassy.

On Monday, it said North Korean leader Kim Jong Un would be humiliated if he rejects calls for freedom.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
April 23, 2019
Kazakhstan's Tokayev gets veteran leader's backing for presidency

By REUTERS