Niger: Gaddafi son stays until UN lifts travel ban

By REUTERS
November 16, 2011 02:23

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

NIAMEY - Niger said on Tuesday that Muammar Gaddafi's son Saadi would remain in the West African nation until a United Nations travel ban on him was lifted, despite Tripoli's request for his return.

Saadi fled south across the Sahara to Niger as his father's 42-year rule crumbled in August. He has been living in Niger since then, and Niamey says he has been granted asylum on humanitarian grounds.

Saif al-Islam, another fugitive son of the former Libyan leader, is believed by many to have sought refuge in Niger or neighboring Mali's desert north but both states say he is not there.

Like many other senior members of the Gaddafi regime, Saadi, a businessman and former professional footballer, was banned from traveling and had his assets frozen by a UN Security Council resolution when violence erupted earlier this year.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 17, 2018
Putin says he told Trump Russia prepared to extend START treaty

By REUTERS