Nigeria: Iran won't discuss arms seizure

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
November 1, 2010 15:06

ABUJA, Nigeria — Iran's embassy in Nigeria on Monday said it would not elaborate on military-grade weaponry seized in Nigeria's busiest port and linked to Iran.

A statement released said that "any unnecessary word would add to the confusion already existing." The embassy also said that no Iranian had been arrested over the weapons seizure.

Nigerian security agents seized the weapons shipment on Tuesday, hidden inside 13 shipping containers supposedly containing building materials. Instead, officials said the shipment contained 107mm artillery rockets and other weapons.

The shipper says the arms came from Iran. Israeli officials claim the weapons were heading to the Gaza Strip. Hamas has denied the claim.


Related Content

Breaking news
May 21, 2018
May's spokesman refuses to comment on Russian-Jewish oligarch's visa delay

By REUTERS