Nigerian: 40,000 trafficked for sex to W. Africa

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
September 29, 2010 15:33

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

ABUJA, Nigeria — Authorities in Nigeria on Wednesday said as many as 40,000 girls and women have been trafficked to nearby West African countries to serve as sex workers.

Simon Egede said that investigators from his National Agency for Prohibition of Traffic in Persons found slave camps full of Nigerian women and girls in Mali, Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso, Niger, Libya, Morocco and Cape Verde. He said he estimates that there are between 20,000 and 40,000 victims.

He said Malian officials are planning arrests soon, and that Nigerian authorities are working to shut down operations elsewhere and prosecute the Nigerian traffickers.

Human Rights Watch reported earlier this year that many Nigerian teenage girls, some as young as 15, had been trafficked to Ivory Coast.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 21, 2018
US State Department thanks Germany for admitting former Nazi collaborator

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF