Police: Eiffel Tower evacuated after bomb threat

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
September 28, 2010 20:59

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

PARIS — The Eiffel Tower was evacuated on Tuesday after officials received a bomb threat from a telephone booth, in the second such alert at the monument in two weeks.

France is on alert for possible terror attacks on crowded targets.

Police closed down the immediate surroundings of the tower, France's most visited monument, on Tuesday evening, blocking off traffic. Officers pulled red-and-white police tape across a bridge leading over the Seine River to the monument. Dozens of officers stood guard in the area.

The anonymous caller phoned in the threat to the tower from a nearby neighborhood, the Paris police headquarters said, adding the company that runs the monument asked police to evacuate it.

The Eiffel Tower was emptied Sept. 14 after a similar phone threat, and police combed through the 324-meter (1,063-foot) tower, finding nothing suspicious. On Monday, the bustling Saint Lazare train station in Paris was briefly evacuated and searched.

National Police Chief Frederic Pechenard said last week that authorities suspect al-Qaida's North African branch of plotting a bomb attack on a crowded location in France.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 18, 2018
Erdogan to challenge those playing 'games' with economy

By REUTERS