Potential shooting thwarted at Boston Pokemon convention

By REUTERS
August 24, 2015 04:00
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Two men linked to violent threats directed over social media at people attending the Pokemon Wold Championships in Boston were arrested last week on suspicion of illegally possessing an AR-15 rifle, shotgun, and hundreds of bullets, police said on Sunday.

The men, 18-year-old Kevin Norton and 27-year-old James Stumbo, were stopped as they tried to enter the event on Thursday at Boston's Hynes Convention Center, the Boston Police Department said.

Detectives learned they had toted a 12-gauge shotgun, an AR-15 rifle, several hundred rounds of ammunition, and a hunting knife in their car from Iowa, Boston police said in a statement.

The men lacked a proper license to carry the guns and were arrested at a hotel in nearby Saugus on Friday on suspicion of unlawful possession of a firearm and ammunition, and other related charges.

The suspects, who could not be reached for comment, are to be arraigned at Boston Municipal Court, police said.

The Pokemon championships brought playing-card and video game competitors to Boston from August 21 through Sunday, according to its website.

On Thursday, Hynes Convention Center security staff alerted police about threats of violence made over social media against participants at the Pokemon World Championships, police said.

The men were stopped trying to enter the event hours later, Boston police said.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 23, 2018
Turkey detains 43 suspected Islamic State militants

By REUTERS