Protesters block road in Egypt's Salloum after clashes

By REUTERS
April 11, 2012 19:16

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

CAIRO - Residents of Egypt's northwestern city of Salloum blocked a major road and set fire to car tires on Wednesday after two people were killed in clashes between residents and army officers a day earlier, witnesses said.

Protesters in Salloum, located near the Egyptian-Libyan border, had taken to the streets a day earlier to rally against extra fees imposed on trucks carrying goods from Libya into Egypt. They said two men had been shot by the military.

Witnesses said the protesters refused to allow trucks to pass through Salloum and confiscated their goods. The protesters only allowed Libyan families traveling between the two countries to pass through, they said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 14, 2018
Turkey calls for international investigation into Khashoggi murder

By REUTERS