Russia: Court jails Red Square bomb plot convict

November 28, 2012 19:36


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

MOSCOW - A Moscow court on Wednesday convicted a man of participating in a failed plot to carry out a suicide bomb attack in Red Square on New Year's Eve in 2010 and sentenced him to 15 years in prison, the Russian prosecutor general's office said.

The court found that Ilyas Saidov brought two bombs to Moscow from the volatile North Caucasus republic of Dagestan on a bus and delivered them to two women who were to set them off on the square outside the Kremlin, it said.

One of the bombs exploded in a hotel room after being triggered by a spam text message, killing one of the women, according to Russian law enforcement authorities.

Saidov avoided a possible life sentence by confessing to the crime, as well as others he was charged with committing in the North Caucasus, and cooperating with investigators.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 17, 2018
Final interrogation of Netanyahu in 'Bezeq Affair' ends after 4 hours