S. Korean leader feels responsible for N. Korean attack

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
November 29, 2010 03:56

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

YEONPYEONG ISLAND, South Korea  — South Korea's president on Monday took responsibility for failing to protect South Koreans from a deadly North Korean artillery attack last week, even as he vowed that the North would face consequences for future aggression.

Lee Myung-bak didn't offer specifics about those consequences nor did he say what actions South Korea will take in response to the artillery barrage on Yeonpyeong Island that killed four, including two civilians, and sent tensions soaring in the region.

"I feel deeply responsible for failing to protect my people's lives and property," Lee said. He said he was "very sorry and regretful" for the death of innocent people.

"Launching military strikes against civilians is an inhumane crime that is even banned during wartime," Lee said.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 21, 2018
Terror balloon lands in kibbutz Nahal Oz, local fire rages

By JPOST.COM STAFF