Scandal-hit Berlusconi to skip family conference

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
November 6, 2010 15:12

ROME — Premier Silvio Berlusconi has scrapped a planned appearance at a conference on family values next week in Milan, amid reports of encounters with a prostitute and his ties to an underage Moroccan girl.

Francesco Belletti, who heads a family association, said earlier this week that a Berlusconi appearance would "embarrass" the conference.A statement from Berlusconi's office said a Cabinet undersecretary would open the conference Monday on behalf of the government.

Berlusconi has been engulfed in a scandal over his ties to the Moroccan girl, whom Berlusconi freed from police custody in what many saw as an abuse of power. New allegations of sex with a prostitute have also surfaced.

Berlusconi dismisses the allegations as "unfounded attacks."


Related Content

Breaking news
October 21, 2019
Quake of magnitude 6.4 strikes off Vanuatu -USGS

By REUTERS

Cookie Settings