Senegal's Wade has backed down on election law

By REUTERS
June 23, 2011 14:49

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

DAKAR - President Abdoulaye Wade of Senegal has withdrawn a proposed change to the election after listening to the concerns of the country's donors and population, a government spokesman said on Thursday.

Spokesman Serigne Mbacke Ndiaye said Wade had decided that no one could be elected in the first round without 50 percent of the votes, reversing a proposal to reduce the threshold to 25 percent.

Clashes broke out earlier on Thursday around parliament where the matter was due to be debated.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 16, 2018
U.S. Sen. Graham blasts Trump response on Russia election meddling

By REUTERS