Senior diplomatic source: Qatar is a bitter enemy

By
November 28, 2012 03:35

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Reflecting intense anger and frustration at Qatar for its diplomatic and financial support of Hamas, a senior diplomatic source on Wednesday characterized the Persian Gulf state as a “bitter enemy of Israel.”

“Qatar is an opportunistic regime,” which is one of the “most problematic regimes” in the region, the source said. Without elaborating, the source said Israel should be using some of the leverage it has with Qatar to induce it to change its behavior.

The emir of Qatar, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, visited Gaza last month, the first foreign leader to do so since Hamas took power there in 2007. That move angered Jerusalem because it gave Hamas strongly desired legitimacy.



This visit was followed by a pledge from Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan to follow suit and visit Gaza as well. Erdogan, according to another Israeli source, did not go ahead with the move because of US President Barack Obama’s request that he not do so.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
December 15, 2018
Suspected double homicide in Lod, parents shot with 6 year old in the car

By JPOST.COM STAFF