September 11 trial won't be held in Manhattan

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
January 30, 2010 06:22



The Obama administration has abandoned its plan to put Khalid Sheik Mohammed, the self-proclaimed mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, on trial in Lower Manhattan, according to administration officials.



"New York is out," said an administration official said on Friday, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the decision has not been officially announced. "We're considering other options."



The reversal marks the latest setback for an administration that has been buffeted at every turn as it seeks to close the military detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Its options for closing the prison had already been dwindling, and without the backdrop of Ground Zero for a trial, the administration will lose some of the rich symbolism associated with its attempt to forge a new approach to handling high-profile al-Qaida detainees.


Related Content

Breaking news
June 21, 2018
Report: May asked minister to justify UK status as 'tier one' military

By REUTERS