Serbs, Jews protest freeing of Hungary's WWII suspect

By REUTERS
July 24, 2011 23:23

NOVI SAD - Hundreds of Serbs and Jews rallied on Sunday in Novi Sad, Serbia's second largest city, and in the capital Belgrade against the acquittal of a Hungarian man suspected of involvement in a World War Two massacre.

"We are hoping for the day when we will be able to say Sandor Kepiro is guilty. He is guilty," Aleksandar Veljic of the Association for the Remembrance of Holocaust told the rally in Novi Sad 80 kilometers (50 miles) north of Belgrade.

A Hungarian court last week cleared Kepiro (97) of involvement in the January 1942 Novi Sad massacre of more than 1,000 civilians, mainly Serbs and Jews, due to lack of evidence. The verdict is subject to appeal.


Related Content

Breaking news
June 19, 2018
White House says Kushner met Jordan's Abdullah about Israeli-Palestinian peace

By REUTERS