Shas minister blames PM for Keshev dissolution

By JPOST.COM STAFF
July 3, 2012 10:17

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Shas Minister Ariel Attias said Tuesday that his party would only agree to 2,400 haredim (ultra-Orthodox) of various ages committing to service, and blamed Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu for excluding his party from the Keshev committee.

"Most of the process was over our heads," Attias said in an interview with Army Radio. "We weren't included."

According to Attias, Netanyahu told Shas last week that Kadima had drawn a red line in negotiations, demanding the inclusion of personal sanctions against those who do not serve, and that it was up to Shas whether it wanted to stay in the coalition. That, he said, was what soured the entire process on the Keshev committee.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 16, 2018
EU's Tusk calls on China, US, Russia not to start trade wars

By REUTERS