Small battery removed from child’s ear after 3 months

By JUDY SIEGEL ITZKOVICH
March 28, 2010 15:24

A five-year-old boy from Rehovot was rushed to Kaplan Medical Center on Sunday when he began to complain of an earache and fever - apparently due to a small battery which had been lodged for three months in his ear.

Three months ago, Matan Mamman was playing with a small flashlight when the device suddenly broke. Only last weekend did he begin to feel pain. When pus began to emerge from his ear, his parents took him to Kaplan Medical Center, where he was rushed to the ER after a doctor discovered the battery in his ear canal.

Matan required general anesthesia in order to undergo the operation to remove the battery. No permanent damage was caused to his hearing. Dr. Meir Werman said that the chemicals in the battery could have leaked out and caused serious harm, but he was lucky it was caught in time, thanks to his symptoms.

He called on parents to monitor children’s play, especially with dangerous objects such as small batteries.


Related Content

Breaking news
May 23, 2018
Two Palestinians arrested, suspected of Tuesday shooting attack in W. Bank

By JPOST.COM STAFF