Sources: Algeria's Brahimi agrees to be new Syria mediator

By REUTERS
August 16, 2012 21:42

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

UNITED NATIONS - Veteran Algerian diplomat Lakhdar Brahimi has agreed to replace Kofi Annan as the international mediator on Syria, UN sources said on Thursday, as the 17-month-old conflict slips deeper into full-scale civil war.

Annan is stepping down at the end of August after six months in the job because he said his Syria peace plan was hampered by a divided and deadlocked UN Security Council.

Diplomats told Reuters on condition of anonymity that Brahimi, who had been undecided for days about whether to accept the offer of the post from UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, did not want to be seen as a mere replacement of Annan but wanted an altered title and mandate. It was not clear when the official announcement would be made, envoys said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 24, 2018
Flood threat still existent in Hurricane Florence aftermath

By REUTERS