Sources: Egypt village land row sparks fight, 12 dead

By REUTERS
June 10, 2012 14:57

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

CAIRO - Up to 12 people were killed in a gunfight between members of two tribes from a southern Egyptian village sparked by a long-running row over land ownership, security sources said on Sunday.

The fighting erupted on Saturday evening over which of the two tribes owned a piece of agricultural land near al-Hikma village in Egypt's southern Aswan province, the sources said. Security forces imposed a curfew on the village, the sources added.

Many people own weapons in rural Egypt. Violent clashes have erupted in the past, but analysts say a breakdown of law and order since Hosni Mubarak was ousted last year has contributed to such flare-ups since then.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 18, 2018
Jerusalem Post closed for Yom Kippur

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF