South Sudan accuses Sudan of new attack

By REUTERS
April 10, 2012 18:23

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

KHARTOUM - South Sudan said on Tuesday that Sudan had attacked a disputed oil-producing border region with warplanes and artillery, in the latest flare-up of violence that has delayed a summit between the former civil war foes.

The South Sudanese army (SPLA) said the town of Teshwin in the border area had come under attack late on Monday and that fighting was continuing on Tuesday. Sudan's armed forces spokesman Al-Sawarmi Khalid Saad could not immediately be reached for comment on his mobile phone.

South Sudan, which seceded in July, has been locked in a bitter dispute with Khartoum over oil payments and other issues, and clashes in the ill-defined border region last month raised concerns they might escalate into full-blown war.

"They launched a new attack, and occupied southern territory until the SPLA repulsed them," said Philip Aguer, a spokesman for the South's forces, Sudan People's Liberation Army. "Fighting continued today and is still ongoing."

He said the Sudanese ground forces had started their attack from the disputed area of Heglig, where Sudan controls an oil field that accounts for roughly half of its 115,000 barrel a day output.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 20, 2018
Report: IDF exchanges gunfire with Hamas near Gaza border

By JPOST.COM STAFF