Sudan investment conference called off as US pulls out

By REUTERS
March 11, 2012 21:01

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

KHARTOUM - An international conference to drum up investment in Sudan has been called off after the United States and other powers signaled they would not attend in protest over Sudan's crackdown on rebels, diplomats and officials said on Sunday.

Sudan needs a financial lifeline after its economy was thrown into turmoil when South Sudan declared independence in July under a 2005 peace deal, taking with it three-quarters of the oil production -- the driving force of both economies.

Diplomats said Western powers such as the United States had initially supported the joint Norwegian and Turkish initiative for a high-level Sudan conference to help soften the blow of the loss of oil by generating investment and economic assistance.

It was scheduled to be held in Istanbul on March 23/24. A Norwegian diplomat confirmed the meeting had been postponed with no new date set.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 17, 2018
Netanyahu takes credit for Trump leaving Iran Deal

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF