Syrian opposition open to talks with officials post-Assad

By REUTERS
August 5, 2012 12:41

DUBAI - The leader of Syria's main political opposition group said he was ready to negotiate with government officials whose hands are not "stained with blood", once Syrian President Bashar Assad and his associates leave power, according to an interview published on Sunday.

Abdelbasset Seida, head of the Syrian National Council (SNC), also told the pan-Arab Asharq al-Awsat newspaper that the resignation of Syria peace envoy Kofi Annan may open the door for a new initiative to resolve the crisis.

"As far as we are concerned, the authorities have lost their credibility and legitimacy, and we have said this in Moscow bluntly: that dialogue with this regime is no longer possible," Seida said.

"Bashar and his gang must leave and after that we will move to negotiate with other officials whose hands were not stained with Syrian blood and who were not involved in big corruption cases," he added.

Annan quit as the UN and Arab League envoy on Syria last week due to frustration at the world body's failure to act decisively to end 17 months of bloodshed in Syria.


Related Content

Breaking news
May 27, 2018
Kim expressed 'fixed will' on June 12 summit with Trump in meeting

By REUTERS