Trial resumes in Mumbai attacks case

Trial resumes in Mumbai

By
November 27, 2009 12:51

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

An Indian judge on Friday decided against dismissing the lawyer of the only surviving Pakistani gunman in last year's Mumbai terror attacks, avoiding possible lengthy delays in his trial. Judge M.L. Tahiliyani said he accepted an apology from defense lawyer Abbas Kazmi after a minor courtroom squabble and hoped the decision would help bring the trial to a swift conclusion. Finding a replacement for Kazmi could have led to months of delays. He was appointed by the court to defend Mohammed Ajmal Kasab after several other lawyers refused to represent him. Kasab is on trial with two Indian co-defendants accused of helping plot the attacks on Mumbai, India's financial hub. They have been charged with 12 criminal counts, including murder and waging war against India. If convicted, all three could face the death penalty. Thursday's dispute arose after Kazmi accused the prosecutor of improperly handing him copies of witnesses' statements without submitting them to the court first. The judge stated that the court had already been informed in Kazmi's presence of the decision to submit the statements and accused the defense attorney of lying. Thursday was the first anniversary of the attacks, which began on November 26th and lasted three days, killing 166 people.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 18, 2018
Trump says too early to assign blame in Khashoggi's apparent killing

By REUTERS