UN: British hostage's remains identified in Lebanon

UN British hostages re

By
November 23, 2009 23:28

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The remains of British hostage Alec Collett, who disappeared in 1985 during Lebanon's civil war while working for the United Nations, have been positively identified, the UN announced Monday. Experts began searching for Collett's remains last week in the eastern Bekaa Valley, which during the 1975-90 civil war was a lawless region of banditry and kidnapping. Lebanese security officials said two bodies were discovered near the village of Aita al-Foukhar and samples were sent for DNA testing in Beirut. UN deputy spokeswoman Marie Okabe said UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon had been informed of the positive identification of Collett's remains. Britain's Foreign Office also confirmed Monday that a set of remains recovered last week belonged to Collett.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 18, 2018
Search on for 1,276 now missing after California's deadliest wildfire

By REUTERS