UN: Mediterranean three times more deadly than 2015

By REUTERS
October 25, 2016 13:27

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

GENEVA - At least 3,740 refugees and migrants have perished in the Mediterranean so far this year, nearly matching the death toll for all of 2015 when three times as many people took to the seas, the United Nations refugee agency UNHCR said on Tuesday.

UNHCR spokesman William Spindler voiced alarm at the high death toll among 327,800 people crossing this year, against 3,771 who died among more than one million last year.

"This is by far the worse we ever have seen in the Mediterranean," Spindler told a news briefing in Geneva. "We can say the death rate has increased three-fold."

Related Content

Breaking news
August 16, 2018
Commander of IDF Military Headquarters under investigation for bribery

By ANNA AHRONHEIM