UN calls on Nigeria to halt deadly ethnic clashes

By REUTERS
September 9, 2011 15:49

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

GENEVA - The UN human rights office called on Nigeria on Friday to halt spiraling violence between Christian and Muslim youths in which it said 70 people had been killed since early August, including a family hacked to death.

A spokesman for UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay said security forces had sometimes made the ethnic clashes worse by their interventions, appearing to take sides or using excessive force.

"Reports suggest up to 70 people have been killed since the beginning of August in ethnic and religious violence in the area," her spokesman Rupert Colville told a news briefing.

At least 14 people have been killed in clashes in central Nigeria's volatile Plateau state since Sunday, authorities in the city of Jos said on Monday. Victims included a family of eight hacked to death.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 21, 2018
No arms for Riyadh while Khashoggi questions remain, Merkel says

By REUTERS