UN commander in Lebanon discusses village pullout

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
November 29, 2010 19:05

BEIRUT - A spokesman for the UN peacekeeping force in Lebanon says the force commander discussed with senior Lebanon and Israeli officers a possible Israeli pullout from a disputed village.

Neeraj Singh says the meeting headed by Maj. Gen. Alberto Asarta Cuevas was held Monday at the UN position at the Naqoura border crossing on the Mediterranean.Singh did not elaborate about the monthly meeting or reveal what the officers said about Ghajar.

Earlier this month, Israel announced its decision to withdraw from the northern half of Ghajar.

When Israel ended its 18-year occupation of southern Lebanon in 2000, UN surveyors split the village between Lebanon and the Israeli-controlled Golan. Israel took back the village's northern half after its 2006 war with Hezbollah.


Related Content

Breaking news
October 16, 2019
Sen. Amy Klobuchar: Israel a 'beacon of democracy'

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF

Cookie Settings