UN lifts arms embargo on Sierra Leone

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
September 30, 2010 01:36

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

UNITED NATIONS — The UN Security Council is lifting a 13-year-old arms embargo against the small west African nation of Sierra Leone after being assured that the nation is sufficiently stable following the civil war that ended in 2002.

The 15-member council said Wednesday that it was removing the last UN sanctions on the country because the government had fully re-established control over its territory and former fighters had been successfully disarmed and demobilized.Nevertheless, the council agreed that Sierra Leone still needed international support and extended the mandate of the country's UN peace building office by one year.



"Today's actions are important milestones in Sierra Leone's long recovery from war," US Ambassador Susan Rice said Wednesday, adding that the peace building office, "will play a critical role in Sierra Leone's continued progress toward development and stabilization."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
May 25, 2019
No claim made for Lyon bomb French anti-terrorism prosecutor says

By REUTERS