UN prosecutor: Hizbullah proof in Hariri case 'incomplete'

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
August 24, 2010 23:21

AMSTERDAM — The prosecutor in the assassination case of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri said Tuesday that Hezbollah was holding back evidence it claims to have implicating Israel as the killer.

The UN-appointed prosecutor, Daniel Bellemare, said a packet of evidence handed over by the powerful Lebanese militia last week was "incomplete," and failed to add anything to what Hezbollah leader Sheik Hassan Nasrallah disclosed at a news conference earlier this month.

Nasrallah displayed what he said were intercepted aerial surveillance tapes that indicated Israeli intelligence had been tracking Hariri's movements before his death in a 2005 truck bomb explosion, and claimed he had more evidence against the Israelis.

Bellemare demanded that Hezbollah hand over all information relevant to his investigation. On Tuesday, his office said it had received only the six DVDs that Nasrallah already had aired, but none of "the rest of the evidence" he claimed to possess.


Related Content

Breaking news
May 28, 2018
Trump says U.S. officials arrive in North Korea to prepare for talks

By REUTERS