UN reports over 500 rapes in eastern Congo

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
September 8, 2010 01:41

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

UNITED NATIONS — The United Nations on Tuesday reported more than 500 systematic rapes were committed by armed combatants in eastern Congo since late July — more than double the number previously reported.

UN Assistant Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Atul Khare told the UN Security Council that in addition to the 242 rapes in and around the village of Luvungi that were reported earlier this month, more than 260 other rapes and sexual attacks took place in Uvira and other regions of North and South Kivu.

In the village of Miki, in South Kivu, he said, there were 74 cases of sexual violence, including 21 minors — all girls between the ages of 7 and 15 — and six men.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 22, 2018
Powerful quake hits Venezuela coast, damage limited

By REUTERS