UN urges Sudan, S. Sudan to pull troops from Abyei

By REUTERS
October 7, 2011 04:02

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

UNITED NATIONS, Oct 6 (Reuters) - The new head of UN peacekeeping on Thursday urged Sudan and South Sudan to withdraw their troops from the disputed Abyei region as Western diplomats warned that the situation on their border was increasingly tense.

Last month a Sudanese army spokesman said Khartoum would not withdraw its army from Abyei by the end of September as expected by the United Nations, eliciting sharp criticism from its former civil war foe South Sudan.

"The parties (Sudan and South Sudan) must ... redouble their commitments to withdraw their armed forces, establish joint administration and allow recovery and reconciliation efforts in Abyei to begin," the new UN peacekeeping chief Herve Ladsous told the UN Security Council.

Sudan's army took Abyei in May in a show of force that triggered an exodus of more than 100,000 civilians after the southern army attacked an army convoy.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 22, 2018
Powerful quake hits Venezuela coast, damage limited

By REUTERS