US: Betar Illit housing units not violation of moratorium

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
March 9, 2010 01:15

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The Defense Ministry's approval to build 112 housing units in Betar Illit is not a violation of the West Bank settlement moratorium, Washington said on Monday night, while urging both Israelis and Palestinians to nevertheless exercise caution ahead of the upcoming US-mediated peace talks.

"On the one hand, it does not violate the moratorium that the Israelis previously announced," US State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said. "On the other hand, this is a the kind of thing that both sides need to be cautious of as we move ahead with these parallel talks."

Crowley said Israeli officials had explained that the construction was approved before the moratorium.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 13, 2018
Residents of the South are "tired of silence" and protesting the ceasefire

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF, TAMARA ZIEVE