US cables for more security in Benghazi received no reply

By REUTERS
October 9, 2012 19:50

WASHINGTON - A US security officer formerly stationed in Libya has told lawmakers he sent two cables to the State Department requesting more security agents for the American mission in Benghazi but received no response.

The officer, Eric Nordstrom, also said that a State Department official, Charlene Lamb, wanted to keep the number of US security personnel in Benghazi "artificially low," according to a memo summarizing his comments that was obtained by Reuters.

The State Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Nordstrom's statements.

Nordstrom was interviewed by a congressional committee investigating the attack last month on the US mission in Benghazi in which the US ambassador and three other Americans were killed. Nordstrom, a State Department regional security officer, was based in Tripoli until about two months before the Benghazi attack, the memo said.

Nordstrom is expected to testify at a hearing of the committee on Wednesday, along with Lamb, the deputy assistant secretary of state for international programs, and Lieutenant Colonel Andrew Wood, who headed a security support team at the US Embassy in Tripoli.


Related Content

Breaking news
June 23, 2018
Explosion rocks Zimbabwe stadium where President Mnangagwa addressed rally

By REUTERS