US service member and Afghan child killed in attacks

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
August 9, 2010 09:45

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

KABUL, Afghanistan — A US service member was killed in a bomb attack in southern Afghanistan on Monday, while an Afghan child was shot dead during a gunbattle between NATO forces and insurgents, the alliance said.

NATO did not provide further details on the death of the American.

Sunday's fighting in eastern Kunar province started when militants attacked a small US base in Watahpur district, according to Maj. Michael Johnson, a spokesman for the international military coalition.

Insurgents fired on the outpost and soldiers saw the rounds hit two children nearby, killing one and wounding the other, Johnson said.

Violence has risen in recent months along with a surge of U.S. troops into Afghanistan. In July, a record 66 American service members were killed, compared with 44 in July last year. A record total of 103 international forces died in June, more than triple the figure for the same month in 2009.

Civilian deaths have also risen. The Afghan human rights commission released a report Sunday saying noncombatant casualties were up 6 percent to 1,325 for the first seven months of 2010 compared with the same period last year.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 19, 2018
At least 19 killed by Islamists in village in northeast Nigeria

By REUTERS