Venezuela to send detained Salvadoran to Cuba

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
July 7, 2010 03:48

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

CARACAS, Venezuela — Venezuela plans to extradite a Salvadoran man wanted by Cuba as a suspect in a series of bombings, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez announced Tuesday.

Chavez didn't say exactly when Francisco Chavez Abarca would be sent to Cuba, Venezuela's closest foreign ally.

Cuba believes Chavez Abarca placed an explosive that damaged a hotel disco on April 2, 1997, and another bomb later that month that failed to explode on the 15th floor of the same hotel. Cuban officials also suspect him in a 1997 bombing of a Cuban government office.

"From here, he's going to Cuba," Chavez said.

Chavez noted that Venezuelan authorities have been interrogating Chavez Abarca since his arrest last week. "We are looking for possible connections with some sectors" of Venezuela's opposition, the president said.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 22, 2018
15-year-old torches police car in Rehovot

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF