White House denies draft of Obama's ME speech was leaked

By JPOST.COM STAFF
May 18, 2011 07:25

The White House on Tuesday denied as "completely false" reports that a draft of US President Barack Obama's Middle East speech, calling on Israel to return to the 1967 lines, had been shown to Israeli officials.

Yediot Aharonot on Tuesday reported that Obama would classify the settlements as “illegal,” and would call on Israel to return to the 1967 lines with negotiated border adjustments in the speech scheduled for Thursday. The report said this was the message that emerged from talks that new National Security Council head Ya’acov Amidror and his predecessor Uzi Arad held in Washington in recent days with White House National Security Adviser Tom Donilon. The report said Amidror and Arad asked that changes be made in a draft of Obama’s speech.

"We have not shared a draft of the speech with anyone outside of the administration," White House spokesman Jay Carney said during a press briefing. Carney would not specify if Obama would talk about the 1967 lines at all in the speech, nor would he give any other specifics of the address.


Related Content

JAUNA MUSIKA CHOIR
May 22, 2018
Music Review: Abu Ghosh Music Festival

By URY EPPSTEIN