Women’s hoops league continues strike

By
March 6, 2016 12:19
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Players and coaches from the women’s basketball Premier League will demonstrate in front of the home of Minister of Culture and Sport Miri Regev on Sunday, protesting the lack of funding that saw the teams go on strike last week.

The semifinal playoffs were set to get underway last Thursday, but it remains to be seen when they will actually begin, with the league and the Ministry failing to reach an agreement regarding the amounts the league will receive.

The chairman of the women’s league, Iris Stark, sent a letter to Regev last week threatening to suspend top flight games due to financial difficulties. Stark complained that the league hasn’t received the NIS 2.4 million it was promised by the Ministry via Athena, Israel’s project for the promotion of women’s sports in Israel, and went through with the threat after little progress was made over the subsequent 48 hours.

The Director General of the Ministry of Culture and Sport, Yossi Sharabi, said last week that NIS 600,000 will be transferred to the league immediately, with a similar amount to be handed to the league later this season. However, that did little to pacify the league, which said it will continue to strike until it receives the full amount it believes it is owed.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 20, 2018
Bulk of families separated at U.S.- Mexico border remain apart

By REUTERS