Iron Dome 370.
(photo credit: REUTERS)
Former defense minister Amir Peretz said on Saturday that the number of Iron
Dome rocket-defense batteries Israel plans to purchase is insufficient to
protect the country.
While it is reasonable to acquire only 13 batteries,
as Israel plans to do, Peretz said, “If we want complete coverage we will need
to get to between 20 and 26 batteries.”
Peretz also warned against using
the Iron Dome system to defend military and strategic sites instead of
“With all due respect, the bases were not meant to be
covered by the Iron Dome,” Peretz said. “There’s no way that bases will be
preferred over civilians.”
Last year, the US warned Israel that it would
have to review funding for the anti-rocket system if it were deployed to protect
bases instead of civilians.
Turning to the Iranian nuclear threat, Peretz
said that a military strike against Iranian nuclear facilities would be better
if an outside actor such as the US carried it out instead of Israel.
should prefer an outside actor do it because Israel does not need to be
confronted by the whole Muslim world,” Peretz said.
JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:
“We know that a
minute after an attack, it will be comfortable for the Western countries to
point a blaming finger at Israel. If it’s an American actor, the crisis will be
smaller. We need to think about the day after.”
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>