'Israel, Egypt agree flotilla can unload cargo in El-Arish'

Government declares flotilla, scheduled to arrive later this week, will not be allowed to enter Gaza; Netanyahu scheduled to convene security cabinet for final briefing before ships' arrival.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
June 27, 2011 07:55
2 minute read.
Shayetet 13 Commandos.

flotilla 13 shayetet 13 311. (photo credit: IDF Spokesman)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Israel and Egypt have come to an understanding by which ships taking part in an upcoming flotilla to the Gaza Strip will be allowed to unload their cargo of humanitarian goods at the Egyptian port of El-Arish, from where it will be transferred on land to Gaza after being checked, Israel Radio reported on Monday.

The government has declared that the flotilla, scheduled to arrive at Gaza later this week, will not be allowed to enter the territory by sea. If necessary the ships will be towed into Ashdod Port and the equipment on the ships impounded.

RELATED:

Foreign Press Association condemns GPO flotilla threats
US issues stern warning to Gaza flotilla activists

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu convened his security cabinet for briefings from top naval officials and security officials on the Gaza-bound flotilla on Sunday evening. The security cabinet was scheduled to reconvene on Monday morning to further discuss the flotilla.

The Israel Navy is gearing up to stop the flotilla that plans to run the blockade of the Gaza Strip, amid predictions that violence will be minimal after Turkey’s IHH organization – behind the Mavi Marmara last year – withdrew from the initiative.

According to organizers, a number of the vessels – including the US ship The Audacity of Hope – are to set sail from Greece on Monday or Tuesday and then meet other ships that have already begun their journeys from France and Ireland at a rendezvous spot in the Mediterranean Sea.

Vessels from Italy, Spain and Canada are also participating in the flotilla.

On Sunday, Greek officials blocked some of the ships from setting sail to Gaza and organizers said that they had hired lawyers who will fight the stop-order with the aim of allowing the vessels to leave harbor on Monday or Tuesday.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


“We expect the flotilla to set sail later in the week,” a military source said. “We are preparing for various scenarios, from no violence to extreme violence.”

The navy and Military Intelligence are closely tracking the flotilla, as well as reports that a Jordanian ship with close to 200 Palestinian and other Arab activists might join the voyage toward Gaza.

“We are pleased that the Turks are not participating but do not yet know what to expect until we meet the ships at sea,” the military source said.

The navy plans to stop the flotilla far from Gaza, after issuing a warning that the territory is under a sea blockade.

“If the ships continue sailing after being warned, then we will have the right to stop them even if they did not yet enter Gaza’s territorial waters,” a defense official explained.

During Sunday's special security cabinet meeting, ministers heard intelligence reports regarding the number of vessels, the passengers on board, and what the ships are carrying.

Israeli officials expressed satisfaction that Cyprus has banned the use of it ports for the enterprise, and that Greece and numerous other countries – such as the US, Canada, France and Australia – have issued strong warnings to their citizens not to participate.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

idf hebron
August 22, 2014
Palestinians throw Molotov cocktail at IDF checkpoint in Hebron

By KHALED ABU TOAMEH, TOVAH LAZAROFF