Road 12 reopens to traffic 10 months after attack

Decision to open parts of road that had remained closed comes after completing construction of most of border fence.

By
June 10, 2012 20:21
1 minute read.
Soldiers patrolling the Egyptian border [file]

Egypt border 311. (photo credit: Asmaa Waguih/Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Almost a year after a deadly terror attack, Road 12 along Israel’s border with Egypt was opened on Sunday to civilian traffic. The IDF decided to completely open the road, parts of which run directly alongside the border, after completing construction of the majority of a border fence there.

The attack took place on August 18, 2011, when a number of terrorists infiltrated Israel from the Sinai Peninsula and opened fire at Israeli cars traveling on Road 12, just west of the Netafim crossing. Eight Israelis were killed in the attack, which prompted the IDF to close the road.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Military sources said that the decision to reopen the road was initially made in February albeit with restrictions that banned the use of the highway at night and limited its use to certain sections.

The sources said that OC Southern Command Maj.-Gen. Tal Russo’s decision would be reviewed regularly based on intelligence and that the road would be closed if a terror alert is received.

The Defense Ministry has so far completed the construction of a fence along 170 km. of the border and plans to complete the project in the first quarter of 2013.

The fence is 5 meters high and is covered in two layers of barbed wire. In addition, the border is lined with dozens of towers with radar systems which provide persistent ground surveillance of the border to warn of infiltrations.

The different radars – developed by Israel Aerospace Industries – have ranges from 300m. up to 20 km. for people or 40 km. for vehicles. In addition to the fence and radars, the IDF has also bolstered its deployment along the border with the establishment of a new regional brigade and an additional Combat Intelligence Battalion, responsible for surveillance along the border.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

idf hebron
August 22, 2014
Palestinians throw Molotov cocktail at IDF checkpoint in Hebron

By KHALED ABU TOAMEH, TOVAH LAZAROFF