Suspected far-right activists set fire to Palestinian home in 'revenge' for slain IDF soldier

5 Palestinians suffer smoke inhalation in Ramallah area attack.

November 14, 2013 09:26
1 minute read.
'Tag Mehir' [Price Tag] graffiti [file]

Tag Mehir graffiti 370. (photo credit: Iyad Hadad, B'tselem)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Following the deadly knife attack on an IDF soldier in Afula on Wednesday, suspected far-right activists responded by setting fire to a Palestinian home in the village of Sinjil, northwest of Ramallah early on Thursday morning, an army spokeswoman said.

Five Palestinians who were inside suffered from smoke inhalation, and were evacuated to hospital for treatment. The home sustained damage.

The IDF condemned the attack, saying it "distracted the attention of security forces from their main mission, which is to combat terrorism, and undermines the relative security in the area."

The attackers also spray painted the words "regards from Eden revenge," referring to the name of the soldier killed in Afula Wednesday, Pvt. Eden Atias.

Atias was laid to rest on Wednesday night after being murdered by a Palestinian teen while on a bus en route to his base.

Earlier Wednesday evening, some 150 people protested at the Afula central bus station, where Atias was murdered, condemning the government's peace negotiations with the Palestinians, Israel Radio reported.

The demonstrators noted that Atias' murder was the fourth such attack since talks resumed in July. staff contributed to this report.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

idf hebron
August 22, 2014
Palestinians throw Molotov cocktail at IDF checkpoint in Hebron